Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Fiacall Ridge & Goat Track Gully

No photos today I'm afraid as the camera has packed up on me. I think the cold has got to the lense. I headed up the Fiacall Ridge today which was absolutely plastered in snow and rime ice. It was pretty breezy and for most of the ascent it was raining. The cold temperatures meant that as soon as the rain hit my clothing it turned to ice so I was soon encased in a suit of ice. Thats probably what did the camera in! The Fiacall Ridge can be grade 1 or grade II dependent on the route taken. I did the grade 1 option then came back down to the start of the difficulties and did the direct grade II option. I then headed down to the bottom of the Fiacall Buttress and started up the Couloir. A grade II/III route winds its way of the left hand side and I climbed to the chockstone crux before deciding it was a bit thin and down climbed to the Coire. I then headed over to Goat Track Gully (grade II) which was great value. The turf was frozen, there were patches of snow ice and the crux provided a great ice pitch that would normally be covered in snow.

No comments: